Are you ready to make some great tasting rice? This recipe is easy because all you need are the ingredients plus your pressure/rice cooker! I make this rice all the time and I usually end up eating more of it than my main dish. Spanish rice is an easy side to prepare for a party and is a good alternative to bringing an appetizer for your next get-together. Now you can follow these simple instructions to create Spanish rice that’s packed with flavor.
When I make Spanish rice I use my Aroma Housewares 8-Cup Rice Cooker. If you need a rice cooker, this one is affordable and mine has been working great for the past few years.
This recipe is flavorful but not considered spicy. If you would like to make spicy rice, we suggest adding some finely chopped jalapeno or purchasing hot pico de gallo. My household loves cilantro, so I have no issues with using nearly all the leaves from one bunch. I just rip the leaves up and throw them into my pot. If cilantro isn’t your thing, you can add in your desired amount. If you do not have access to pico de gallo, you can chop up a mixture of tomato, white onions, and green onions to substitute. To begin, you will need your rice cooker and the following ingredients.
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cooke Time: 15-20 minutes
Makes approximately 6 cups of cooked rice
- 2 and 1/2 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
- Cilantro leaves from one bunch of cilantro (approximately 2.8 ounces)
- 1/3 cup pico de gallo, mild (pico de gallo is chopped tomato, white onion, green onion, coriander leaves, fresh serranos)
- Fresh lime juice squeezed from one lime
- 3 cups long grain white rice
- Take your rice cooker pot and add water followed by melted butter.
- Next add in all of the other ingredients, excluding the rice. The rice will be added last, right before the rice cooker is started.
- Once all of the ingredients (minus rice) are added, stir the pot. The mixture will be dark colored and full of pico and cilantro.
- Add in white rice lastly and do not stir the pot once the rice is in it. You can shake to pot a little to help the rice settle evenly in the pot.
- Begin cooking the covered mixture in your rice cooker. Make sure you do not lift the lid of the cooker until it says that the rice is ready. I don’t watch mine too closely, but is should take around 15-20 minutes to cook
- Once rice cooker dings, uncover and stir. You will have some tasty Spanish rice that’s ready to serve!